On the way to CG Grooming. My Story. Episode 5 - 2017 - Hedgehog

 


***
➡️ARTSTATION - Here are all the renders
***

A hedgehog, my favorite hedgehog. I have many interesting things associated with it. I first took up this model - in 2016. At that time - I had just started to understand Ornatrix and it all started when one of the subscribers - gave me her model and asked to tell how to make his needles and fur in Zbrush. That's how I started recording my Fibermesh lesson =)


Then I wanted to improve this work and tell about Ornatrix. Especially the fur for the forester - it was not the first one after all =) The very first fur was this one. Now of course I see a lot of mistakes and nuances, which I would correct =) Do you too? =)


But at the time I thought it looked very good. Moreover, I was still learning Octane and it was interesting to test its power - in rendering such works =) I had 11 GPU(1080) on our Forender farm and voila, it rendered the job in magazine quality in 2 minutes. Although, I don't remember exactly how long it took. Somewhere on the channel there is even a video of the tests =) The funny thing is that now this hedgehog is rendered in the same quality for 2 minutes on 1 - 3080 =)


At the same time I made my hedgehog from scratch, studied its anatomy, but I wanted to mix stylization and realism. And at that time - I did not do the fur the way I do now. That time I used curves from Fibermesh and just turned them into an Ornatrix object.

And yes, that cute hedgehog also appeared - in the already famous 3D Artist Magazine, but already in the first place in the "Works of the month - Editor's choice". Every month - the editorial staff surfs across different sites and selects the best works.





Then my joy was boundless, I was running around the room and screaming with excitement that I finally began to be recognized in the business that I am madly in love with. Moreover, I knew that once in the magazine - again will go a lot of orders. And so it turned out.

Imagine that =) I didn't really do any fur at all... And the order, which I received and with which I dealt - gave even more confidence in my abilities =) But more about that in the next post.

For the distribution of grass on the surface - I used ForestPack and the environment is very lucky =) With the right foreshortening - HDRi makes it look as if it is modelled =) It creates the realism that was admired at the time. Although the work now - does not look bad.

I made the model with ZSphere, then retopologized and painted it with 3D-Coat.

It was in 2017 that I improved it and what is on the Artstation is the final version that I made this year.

Before all the machinations and improvements, the model looked like this =) Like I said, a subscriber gave it to me. =) And this is the model I used in the lesson.



And then, in 2017 made from scratch and got this version. I didn't bother with modeling details, because half of this body and face is hidden under the fur =)






By the way, you can buy the model here and see it from all sides. There's also this HDRi and all the materials you need.

-—
Did you like the post? Don't forget to like it, subscribe and share your impressions of this work - in the comments.
-—
Soft: 3ds Max, Ornatrix, Octane Render, Zbrush, 3D-Coat
-—

Comments